The Bolivian Short-tailed Boa (Boa constrictor amarali) is a non-venomous reptile species belonging to the family Boidae. It is a subspecies of the Boa constrictor and is known for its large size and distinctive coloration. Below is the requested information about the Bolivian Boa:
- Boa constrictor amarali (STULL 1932)
The Bolivian Boa is commonly known by the following names:
- Bolivian Boa
- Amaral’s Boa
- Bolivian Red-tailed Boa
The Bolivian Short-tailed Boa is native to the tropical rainforests of Bolivia, as well as adjacent areas of Brazil and Paraguay. Its distribution is mainly centered in the lowland and foothill regions of the eastern Andes.
The Boa constrictor constrictor group is listed as a species of “Least Concern” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). However, it is important to note that habitat loss, illegal pet trade, and hunting can pose threats to local populations.
Size: The Bolivian Short-tailed Boa is one of the smaller subspecies of Boa constrictor, with adult individuals typically reaching lengths of 4 to 6 feet (1.2 to 1.8 meters).
Coloration: The body coloration of these boas is highly variable. They can range from light tan or brown to darker shades of brown or reddish-brown. The scales may have a pattern of dark saddles or blotches.
Body Shape: They have a robust and muscular body, with a short and blunt tail compared to other boa constrictor subspecies.
Scales: The scales of the Bolivian Short-tailed Boa are smooth and glossy.
Head and Eyes: They have a triangular-shaped head and relatively small eyes compared to their body size.
Bolivian Short-tailed Boa Gallery
- Red-tailed Boa, Boa constrictor, The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species (accessed online 2023)
- McDiarmid, R. W., Campbell, J. A., & Touré, T. A. (1999). Snake Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference. Vol. 1. Herpetologists’ League.
- Barker, D. G., & Barker, T. M. (1994). Pythons of the World. Volume 1: Australia. The Herpetocultural Library.
- Boa constrictor amarali. (2021). The Reptile Database. Retrieved from https://reptile-database.reptarium
- Boa constrictor (LINNAEUS, 1758) – The Reptile Database (Accessed Online, 2017)
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) – Appendices I, II and III (Accessed Online, 2017)